Hello Jennie,

I don't know anything about Visual Brailler; however, there is a 6-key input
free software program you can use to type Braille directly into your computer.
This software does not use any translation so one cannot cheat, so to speak.
It was developed and maintained by Duxbury and it's called Perky Duck.

This software works very well on Windows and I believe there is now a Mac
version, also.

What I like most about this little utility is that if you have a Braille input
device such as a Focus 40 you may use it.  If you do not have a hardware
Braille input device you may use the computer's keyboard to enter the dots,
just as if you were working on a Perkins Braille writer.

Give Duxbury a call or Google the info.

It's basically a Braille text editor.  You create the files, save them, and
then email them off to your instructor who can open the file with Duxbury.  The
files are saved with an extension that can only be created by Perky Duck.  In
short, Perky Duck is a scaled-down version of the Duxbury Braille Translator;
it was developed for just such a purpose as you stated in your original post.

I used Perky Duck to acquire both my Braille transcription and Braille literary
proofreading licenses.

Good Luck,

Mark