Hi everybody,

This goes back to the thread about SIRI and the question Neil asked about
the latitude of Maddison, Wisconsin.

I just tried this and asked SIRI "What is the latitude of Maddison,
Wisconsin". Just as Neil reported, SIRI came back "I don't understand what
is the latitude of Wisconsin".

I then asked "What latitude is Vancouver, British Columbia". Notice the
slight difference in wording "What is the latitude of." and "What latitude
is.".

Anyhow, SIRI came back with the answer promptly and when I asked in the same
way "What latitude is Maddison, Wisconsin" SIRI also answered right away.

Then I asked using the original wording which didn't work "What is the
latitude of Vancouver, British Columbia".

SIRI answered "The only possibility I found is Latitude Restaurant, is that
the one you are looking for?" Then SIRI beeped waiting for me to say "Yes"
or "No:" as if I had asked it to look for restaurants with that name.

I use SIRI a lot and often like how well it works especially for dictation.
However, sometimes it's ridiculous how it gets simple things wrong or can't
deliver an answer which Google Voice Search has no problems with. I also
still find more complex dictation is difficult and I can't believe there
still is no way to just spell out a word I know SIRI will get wrong.

I really hope Apple puts some major effort into making SIRI better. They
introduced this idea of a personal assistant, but considering SIRI has been
around for almost 4 years it has gone through amazingly few real upgrades
and it can't even tell you the battery status on your phone and I still
can't easily set a 2-part reminder like this:

Set a reminder on August 6 at 10 AM

SIRI will say "Tell me what you want to be reminded about", I say:

Dentist appointment at 11 AM.

This used to be possible and to me it sounds natural, but if I say it this
way SIRI sets a reminder "Dentist appointment" for August 6 at 11 AM, it
completely ignores that I said "Dentist appointment at 10 AM" and just
interprets it the way it wants. If, however, I say this:

"Set a reminder on August 6 at 10 AM about my dentist appointment at 11 AM"
it creates it correctly, the reminder time is set to August 6 at 10 AM and
the reminder text says "My dentist appointment at 11 AM". Apple made such a
big deal of how you can talk naturally to SIRI, but while you can set an
alarm by saying many different things, a lot of other commands have to be
delivered just so or SIRI will get it wrong. Steve Jobbs old adage "It just
works" definitely does not apply here.