Alan, two examples I can think of off the top of my head besides VDR are
ringtone apps and an rather nifty app called StormSim. Those apps save files to
a specific area within their app sandbox, and you save them to your computer
using iTunes's file sharing feature. Most of the time, the only way to back up
these files is by using iTunes file sharing. Well, you could share some of them
with the share button and most apps, but sometimes the only way to get the
files is through iTunes file sharing.

Thanks,
Ari