Yeah, that would be interesting to know. After all, when you upgrade over the air everything (usually) comes back absolutely sorted as you left it, though I know for some upgrades (if you have the space) it's not necessary that the information is removed, so perhaps that's why! <Smiles>

Anyone know?

Carol P

----- Original Message ----- From: "Vicky Collins" <v-coll...@sbcglobal.net>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2015 6:04 AM
Subject: is app data included in the iCloud backup

I know that app data does get backed up to the cloud, but I'm wondering if it is a part of an actual iCloud backup, or is it treated separately like contacts and calendar data? What is prompting me to ask the question, is that I'm trying to figure out just how my app data got restored back to my iPhone 6.

Somehow, after I upgraded to iOS 9 from the iOS 9 public beta, opting to do that rather than upgrade to the iOS 9.1 beta, I goofed up something during the process. For, when I tried to restore from iTunes, only my default apps were showing up, even though my device settings appeared to be restored. Then, when I tried to restore from an iCloud backup, I was told there were no backups of my device, even though I had backed up to iCloud just a few days before. Although, to be fair, I had checked iCloud earlier before I started this process and was told there were no backups, and in fact, the several backups I had then tried to perform had failed, something I just attributed to using the beta. I had, though, just done an encrypted iTunes backup manually.

Thus, after several attempts to restore my apps from the iTunes backup not working, I finally just restored once again from that iTunes backup that preserved my settings, and then I manually went in and put all my apps back on the phone. I first started adding them through iTunes, but found that more time consuming than I liked, so used the app store on my phone to put the rest of them back. Then, I was fully prepared to either put all my app data on the phone manually, or just live without it, depending on the app. So, you can imagine just how pleased I was to go into all my apps and find all my data there and up to date. For examples, my two checkbook programs had my account transactions even from earlier that day, Ariadne GPS showed all my favorites and Weather Radio still showed my selected cities. I figured I had overwritten the iTunes backup with all my attempts to fix things, and I had lost my prior iCloud backup somehow when working with the beta.

The archives for this list can be searched at http://www.mail-archive.com/viphone@googlegroups.com/. --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VIPhone" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to viphone+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.