They don't set up the phone. All they do is put a simm card with your
phone information on it. So when you turn it on you still need to
enter your id and password and set up the phone.
As far as restoring from backup, before you restore your phone, try
going to settings, iCloud and entering your user name and password. It
may restore your phone.