Hi,

I am in Canada and I know some people who are outside the United States have
done what I did to try out the News app which at this point is only
available for iOS 9 users in the United States and I think the UK and
Australia.

Basically, all you have to do to make the News app show up if you are in
Canada or another country is to change your country to United States in
Settings > General > Language and Region. I remember asking at the time if
there were any drawbacks to doing this and most people who replied didn't
think there were problems with this.

Now I can tell you about one issue I encountered which ended up costing me
about $600 Canadian. I should state that most likely I would have spend the
money anyways, but it was a bit of a surprise. I should mention that after I
tried the News app a few times I went back to using the CBC app (Canadian
Broadcasting Corporation) and I more or less forgot that I hadn't changed my
region back to Canada. Here is what happened:

My wife is from the Philippines and we were planning to go for a visit in
February next year. I had plenty of Aeroplan points (one of our reward
programs here) to book 2 flights, but the problem is that you are limited to
certain airlines which are part of the STAR alliance and the only airline
which flies Vancouver to Manila non-stop is Philippine Airlines and they are
not in this alliance. All other flights would have meant going via Seoul,
South Korea, Beiging, China, Hong Kong or Tokyo, Japan. This of course adds
at least 4 or 5 hours to an already 14 hour flight so I decided to fire up
my Expedia app which is super accessible and see what sort of flights were
offered by Philippine Airlines. To my surprise I saw direct flights for
around $840 and even with a points flight we would have had to pay about
$500 to $550 in taxes and fees. It did cross my mind whether this was maybe
$840 US which currently converts to a bit over $1,100 Canadian so I called
Expedia customer service and asked. I told the agent that I was in Canada
and I was using the app and he said now, what I saw was in Canadian
currency.

I then went ahead and booked 2 flights and needless to say, a few days later
when I went online to check my Visa statement I saw that the $840 had been
converted to $1,135 Canadian, about $300 more than what I saw on Expedia.

I was about to call Expedia again and complain bitterly about having been
given incorrect information and all that, then I thought I better make sure
my phone was setup correctly and of course when I went to Language and
Region settings my region was set to United States. I changed it back to
Canada and then went ahead and did another search in Expedia for the same
flights and this time Voiceover clearly read the price as "840 US Dollars"
where before when it thought I was in the United States it only read it as
"840 Dollars".

When I saw the $840 it did look too good to be true and I guess it was, but
even $1,135 Canadian is actually not too bad of a deal and considering the
convenience of a non-stop flight probably means I would have booked it
anyways, but it nonetheless would have been nice to know in advance.

I thought I post this here so others know that changing your region may have
consequences one may not necessarily think of at the time and doing so just
to get the News app which down the road will hopefully be available here in
Canada by default is in my opinion not worth the trouble.