You covered all my suggestions already, except one. As much as I hate to
suggest it, have you done a settings reset? That should clear out whatever
mysterious gremlin is causing the problem, hopefully. Less drastically, but
even less likely to help: have you tried a different braille code, just to see
if that has the same issues?

Have a great day,
Alex Hall
mehg...@icloud.com