Hi, I'm wondering if I've just had a different experience. My wife and I did a test on a Saturday night where I charged her for some services. So we swiped her card in my reader and my phone. She got a receipt and I got the money deposited in my bank on the following Monday. That's just 1 business day considering it was a Saturday when the transaction was done. The cost was 2.75% of the total. We did a test for $33.00 and the cost was $.91. I'm sure there are other places which might charge less than 2.75%, but this is lower than Paypal, and doesn't seem all that bad for an occasional purchase for me. I just looked on their help section on accepting cards and the below is written.

What cards can I accept?

Square works with any US-issued and most non-US issued credit, debit, pre-paid or gift cards with a Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover logo. Square processes all with the same simple rates.

Businesses such as licensed healthcare providers and pharmacies can process HSA cards with Square. If you are a healthcare provider, and you selected the "Medical Practioner," "Medical Services" or "Dentistry" business category during the signup process, you should have no trouble accepting HSA cards. If you are a healthcare provider and not categorized as such, write in here to accept HSA cards.

At this time we cannot guarantee approval of government or military cards. The acceptance of these cards is dependent on the card issuer.

Square can process most non-US issued cards bearing a Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover logo. The processing of international cards via manual entry is currently available on all supported devices. Visit this article for more information on accepting international cards.

Regarding the fees, the below is written and it matches my experiences.

What are Square's fees?

Square offers two simple pricing plans so you don't have to worry about complicated processing fees.
One Price per Swipe

With Square's per-swipe pricing, every swiped payment card we accept (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover) has the same flat rate of 2.75%.

With per-swipe pricing, our fees are taken out of each payment as they occur so there is no fee schedule. Square does not require a contract upon signup or have any monthly minimums. It doesn’t cost you anything if you don't use it. If you type in the card information manually, our fee is 3.5% + 15¢.

Note: This fee is taken out of the total amount of each transaction, including tax and tip.

I hope this helps.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
Chastity is curable if detected early! ~ Anonymous