Hello Everyone,

A few weeks ago I asked about using the Audible app to play Audible books
already purchased directly from iTunes.

The reason why I posted this question is that, in the beginning, before
there was a VoiceOver accessible Audible app, many people, myself included,
purchased audio books directly from the iTunes store.  These books were made
available to Apple via Audible.

As a result, I own many Audible-provided audio books that I purchased
through iTunes and that I enjoy either on my computer or in the iBooks app.

Now, even though the Audible-provided iTunes titles play just fine in
iBooks, it is not possible to navigate them by chapter headings nor can one
insert bookmarks using the iBooks app.

As the now voiceover accessible Audible app provides chapter navigation and
supports bookmarks, my original question was to learn if the Audible app
would treat the iTunes purchased titles the same way it does those purchased
directly from the Audible website.

I now have my answer, said answer consisting of the following:

1.
The titles purchased directly from iTunes are formatted differently from
those purchased directly from Audible.

2.
As of iOS 8.x, there is a well documented Audible app bug that causes the
app to not recognize chapter titles or track titles of any books not
purchased directly from the Audible website.  In effect, the app has the
same bug as the original iOS 9.0 version of iBooks had but that was resolved
in iOS 9.1.

3.
Despite the original source, the Audible app treats titles purchased
directly from iTunes as external audio books.  As a result, the above
mentioned bug manifests when playing these titles.

4.
After installing the Audible app, I can confirm that while I can set
bookmarks in titles originally purchased directly from iTunes, all of the
chapter headings are listed as Chapter 0, consistent with the known bug.

So, while I think the Audible app offers marvelous functionality to those
currently subscribing to the Audible service, it may not be the best
solution for those of us already owning many audible books purchased
directly from iTunes.

As a side note, Audible has been aware of the above known external audio
book source bug since iOS 8.x and, unlike the developers of the iBooks app,
as yet anyway, has not
Resolved the issue.

Mark