I'm seeing this thread for the first time, but I have had this happen to me also and I have fixed it the same way. I first noticed this happening in IOS8.

-----Original Message----- From: Sherrie
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2016 1:13 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Fixed my volume problem..was Re: iPod and Evernote

Thank you, thank you! I was having to only use my 6S with headphones or
headset and that gets old.  I was afraid I would have to send it to the
factory to be fixed.  The volume was all the way down.  I will have to add
this tip to my files for future reference.  Sherrie Gosling

-----Original Message----- From: Sieghard Weitzel