I think that the default setting for Voiceover is that it is not turned on
and that you need to go into Settings to activate Voiceover as a Triple
Click Home option.
Maybe trying pressing the Home Button to activate Siri and ask, "Turn
Voiceover On".  Once Voiceover is on, you can set up the Voiceover Option
as a triple click home feature.

Regards, Michelle Bernstein