Well, I actually think we're saying the same thing. Scanning a document, no matter where you are in the process, is not the same thing as getting access to the underlying text. IMHO, using OCR to convert images into text is not the same thing as making a document like a PDF accessible. Errors in OCR can be introduced. For example, I just had to take a contract management certification test, and one of the classes only provided me with a PDF that was a scanned image. Even though the OCR was reasonably good, there were still errors. I don't want to miss a question on a test because I used the wrong acronym due to an OCR error. Also, using OCR on a scanned image doesn't give you access to underlying document elements, such as form fields, alternate text for images, table mark-ups, links and so on. I definitely don't consider the OCR of a scanned image to be on par with a PDF created from some desktop publishing software where I have access to the underlying text and the associated mark up.

On 20/02/16 01:02, Alan Lemly wrote:
I'm not sure I agree. I scan pages all the time and using OmniPage, can elect
to run them through OCR and then save them as editable PDFs. Granted, software
processing is required to do this but it's not desktop publishing software. My
original point was that it's not accurate to call all PDF files images which
can't be read by screen readers because that certainly isn't the case. I
believe it's fairly easy to print web pages or other program output to PDF
files provided you have the necessary utilities to do so and those PDF files
contain readable text.

Alan Lemly

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2016 10:36 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Readable PDF Files was RE: Unacceptable Response from Issuu
Support Team Regarding VoiceOver Accessibility

It isn't always just up to the creator of a PDF file to determine whether an
image is being used or the underlying text is available to Adobe. That's true
if the author is using desktop publishing software to create a document and is
saving it in a PDF format. However, if you only have a hard copy of a document
and you're going to scan it, which you often have to do when capturing a
signature, then the creator of the PDF doesn't have a choice.