Hi Jed,

The pinch gesture is what sighted people use, you put two fingers on the screen
so they are touching and then slowly spread them apart (away from each other
horizontally). As you spread your fingers apart text will get selected based on
whatever rotor unit is set, e.g. by character, by word or by line. Before Apple
made it possible to select text by character, word, line or all using the "Text
Selection" rotor item, this was the only way to select text unless you wanted
to "Select All" which was always an option. However, if you are having problems
with a left rotor turn I wouldn't even try because it's a difficult gesture at
the least and many people on the list had problems with it when it was the only
way to select just a portion of text. Anyhow, you apparently do want to select
all text so there is no point to try and use that. As I said, if you could
maybe back up and explain again what app the text you want to copy and paste is
in it would maybe help. There are so many one-liner emails in this thread now
that it's hard to find much.
I also suggest you go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Voiceover and
practice your rotor turns in the practice area.
By the way, somebody mentioned that maybe "Edit" wasn't added in the rotor
settings. The rotor settings are also in Voiceover settings and there is a
rotor button, however, edit is not an item you can add as it is automatically
there or not depending on that context. If you are somewhere text can be
selected, copied or pasted it is there.
The "Text Selection" rotor item, however, which was introduced in iOS 9 and
which allows you to set a movement unit like characters, words, lines, page or
select all is however an item you have to first add to the rotor before it is
available. You do this by going to Voiceover Settings > Rotor, then find it and
make sure it is "selected". You can double tap each rotor item to select or
deselect it. Once available you can place your insertion point at the beginning
of the text you want to select, then turn the rotor to "Text Selection", then
flick up or down with one finger to select the unit (characters, words, lines,
page or select all) and then flick right to select text. If, for example you
set it to words and then flick right Voiceover will read out the text word by
word and as it reads each word that word is selected. Once you have selected
all you want you turn the rotor to Edit, flick up or down to "Copy" and double
tap to copy the selected text to the clipboard.