From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Chip Orange
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 12:56 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Results of Testing Nearby Explorer in a Vehicle, as Compared to
Seeing Eye GPS

Thank you Mark for your analysis and testing results.

I wanted to offer one correction however: GPS apps in no way have to take into
consideration their distance from the satellites.  The underlying GPS hardware
obviously does, but it simply reports the lat and lon to the app, which then
does what it does, but has no interaction with distance from any satellites (I
have written a GPS app).  It is also offered an opinion from the GPS hardware
as to the likelyhood of the reported position being in error, and an estimate
of how large the error might be, but no distance is involved except that the
app can then take the estimated error probability, and report it to the user as
an error distance (but this is something known to be rather inaccurate).

All GPS apps designed to be used while in motion need to take into
consideration the current speed and direction of the motion, along with their
own estimation of how long it will take them to calculate and report a map
position (as a car moving at speed can cover quite a distance since the last
reported position from the GPS hardware), and it sounds very much like Nearby
GPS is not doing this.  Given that use of GPS hardware can drain the battery
significantly, most apps also don't constantly query the hardware as to the
current position, so more than ever the app needs to compensate for time passed
since the last report (along with direction and speed).

I recall this was also a reported problem for Seeing Eye GPS many years ago
(long before it was available on smart phones), and so it looks like it's a
problem they've conquored, and so likely will be one APH can conquor.

Thanks again for the very useful testing,

Chip