Terri,

The third gen Apple TV has only 2 types of outputs, HDMI and optical audio out.
Most new TV's have also an optical audio out and most soundbars have an optical
audio in. This means you connect your ?Apple TV to your TV via HDMI and then
connect your TV to the soundbar via the optical audio cable.
This way the TV receives both video and audio via the HDMI cable which carries
both signals and the TV then sends just audio to your soundbar.
This is sort of beyond what is on topic for the list and nobody can really
answer your question without knowing exactly what inputs and outputs your TV
has and what inputs are on your soundbar.
If the soundbar only has analogue inputs as in RCA style red and white then you
have to see if your TV has this type of output and connect the output from the
TV to the input of the soundbar.
If the soundbar has an optical audio input you could of course use the optical
cable and connect the Apple T V directly to your soundbar totally bypassing the
TV. This means the TV would not have to be on for you to listen to any of the
Apple TV channels and if your TV was connected to the Apple TV via HDMI and you
had somebody sighted around who wanted to watch then you just turn on the TV
and mute or turn down the TV volume.