From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 4:56 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Inaccessible Apple survey, sometimes I really wonder what the heck
they are thinking or if they indeed are thinking

Hello Listers and Apple Accessibility team (or maybe I should say Apple
Inaccessibility Team),,

I recently purchased an Apple Watch and already pointed out that the usually
very accessible Apple Store app did not allow me to order the watch. No matter
what I tried, the app wanted to send the watch to the nearest Apple Store
which, as I am in Calgary right now, was the Apple Store at Market Mall. No
matter what I did I could not figure out how to make it send it to my home
address. Eventually I ordered it online using my Windows laptop which was
relatively straight forward and painless. Apart from the fact that during the
order process I was told that it would ship in 3 to 4 weeks where in reality it
shipped from China the next day everything was fine.

A couple of days later I received an email asking for my feedback regarding the
ordering process. I thought this would be a good chance for me to give really
low scores and, if a comment field existed, to describe how I could not order
the watch using the Apple Store app because of the reason described above. I
clicked on the link for the survey, the first screen was just some information
and I activated the “Next” link.

On the following page were 3 questions regarding how satisfied I was with the
ordering process, whether I would order again from the apple online store and
whether I would recommend the Apple online store to a friend. Each answer had
the usual “strongly disagree”, to “strongly agree” or whatever the exact
wording was. Jaws also read numbers from 1 to 5, but there were no checkboxes
or radio buttons. At first I thought that this probably is fine, I just click
on the number I want and while it didn’t read it as a radio button, checkbox or
link I thought it would work. I did so for all three questions and clicked
next. Nothing happened and when I checked back I saw something to the effect of
“You must have forgotten to complete one of the questions, please review your
response”. No matter what I did I could apparently not rank my responses and
continue to the next step. I tried this with Jaws using Internet Explorer, Jaws
using Firefox and also with Safari and Voiceover on my iPhone, all with the
same result.

In order to save me the time to type this again I am CC’ing Apple Accessibility
on this since I think it is just a joke and complete craziness that Apple
apparently is not capable of creating a survey which is fully accessible. There
is nothing simpler than to create an accessible survey and for a company which
basically invented the concept of main stream accessibility to not make sure
their surveys can be completed by visually impaired users is beyond my
comprehension. I’d love to hear how Tim Cook would reply to this if I could
tell him about this directly. In the meantime I guess I’ll probably just ask a
sighted person to help me complete this survey and I will give the lowest
ranking possible on each question and hope there is a comment field where I can
express my feelings about such a stupid oversight.