This is not exactly true.  If you are watching something with video, and you
exit the app, yes the video and audio will stop playing.  But if you don’t
close the app in the app switcher, and do the 2 finger double tap to start
music, the audio from your video app will play in the background.  I know this
is true for the xfinity app, and netflix for sure, can’t speak to any other app
as I have not tried it with them.  HTH