Hi Rebecca.
To mz knowledge, there is not a gesture which will accomplicsh this. You have
to either hit the eject key on your BT keyboard or space with sh on your
braille keyboard. You can take the time to go to the braille settings under VO
and toggle the show/hide on-screen keyboard, but I've found this doesn't always
bring it back either. You may wish to consider reporting this to Apple as a
bug. Not sure it will be resolved, as it's been around for several versions of
iOS. I forgot about it until you brought it up last week.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone