I'm not entirely sure when this started, but I finally had time to attempt
to diagnose it this morning. when I plug my iPhone 7 into my PC to
charge/sync, iTunes will come up, then hang at the syncing process for
several minutes. Sometimes the sync will finish, other times it will insist
the sync couldn't finish for reasons known only to iTunes (the only error I
get is the sync session failed to finish). It *looks* like all my apps and
everything are there, but of course given how unreliable it's been I may be
missing something and haven't the slightest idea.

Very probably related to this, I have iTunes backing up my phone when it
syncs. I find it more reliable doing that than allowing iCloud, given that
iCloud has been known to neglect to give me back some of my data. iTunes
looks like it's successfully backing up my phone, and the backups even
appear in the backup folder as they should, but iTunes insists my phone has
never been backed up.

I've already reinstalled (well, actually, updated) iTunes, and am now
running latest 12.5. I'm running latest stable iOS on this phone. I've moved
my backup folder to an alternate location, deleted the original, and allowed
iTunes to recreate it. Still having the same issue. On top of that, iTunes
hangs for several minutes when I bring up device preferences. I can do
pretty much anything else I please, but as soon as I go into device
preferences, instant hang. It corrects itself and I can be on my way, but
that tells me we've got problems. I've hit a wall, so other than spending
500 years on hold with Apple I'm hoping someone's got an idea I haven't yet
tried. If you do, that's awesome. If you don't, well, I didn't have plans
this weekend anyway.