From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2017 11:29 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Canadian pricing for the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and iPhone X

Hi,

For all canadians who haven’t heard yet, CBC had an article where they said
Bell, Rogers and Telus have released the pricing for the new iPhones, it is as
follows:

Prices if you buy on a 2-year contract (it is a $200 jump from 64 Gb to 256 Gb
for all models):
iPhone 8:
64 Gb $229 and 256 Gb $429
iPhone 8 Plus:
64 Gb $359 and 256 Gb $559
iPhone X (apparently only Rogers has released pricing, but the others of course
most likely do the same)
64 Gb $599 and 256 Gb $799

Off-contract prices from Apple are as follows (it is a $210 jump from 64 Gb to
256 Gb for all models):
iPhone 8:
64 Gb $929 and 256 Gb $1,139
iPhone 8 Plus:
64 Gb $1,059 and 256 Gb $1,269
iPhone X, available for preorder on October 27:
64 Gb $1,319 and 256 Gb $1,529

For those interested in the new series 3 Apple Watch, it starts at $429 for the
non-cellular model with just the basic sports band.
If you want the cellular model with aluminum case and sportsband it costs $90
more, $519.
Go up to the stainless steel model with cellular and sports band and you are
out $799, upgrade to the Milanese Loop band and it will set you back $929. Of
course instead of spending $130 more for the Milanese Loop band you can just
buy the sports band and then order a Milanese Loop band on Amazon for $20.
It looks as if the stainless steel watch is only available with cellular, I did
not see a WiFi/GPS only version in the Apple Store app.
All prices above are for the 38mm watch, iff you want the 42mm add $40 for the
aluminum version and $60 for the stainless steel version.

The new 4K Apple TV can be yours for $229 with 32 Gb storage and for $249 with
64 Gb.
I don’t think we are near filling our 64 Gb original 4th gen Apple TV, but
given the fact it is only a $20 price difference I don’t know why anybody would
want to go with 32 Gb.

And that’s it, let’s see, here is what my wife and I will order:
1 iPhone X 256 Gb Space Grey for me, $1,529
1 iPhone X 256 Gb Silver for my wife, $1,529
1 Apple Watch series 3 Cellular, black stainless steel with Sports Loop band in
38mm for me: $799
1 Apple Watch series 3 Cellular, rose gold aluminum with Sports Loop band in
38mm for my wife: $519
1 Apple TV 4K with 64 Gb storage: $249
1 pair Apple Airpods for me (my wife has Power Beats already and likes them):
$219
Total before tax: $4,844. Of course we would want to add Apple Care Plus at
least to each of our phones. For the iPhone 8 Plus here in Canada Apple Care
Plus is $199, so add another $398, that brings our before tax total to $5,242.
Most likely Apple Care Plus for the iPhone X will be maybe another $30 or $50
more, but even if it is not, I now add our 12% tax here in British Columbia and
our new toys will cost us $5871.04.

OK, I am of course only joking, my wife has a 6S and I have a 6S Plus so no
thanks, no new iPhones for us this year.
Also, my parents did buy me an Apple Watch series 2 38mm stainless steel for my
50th birthday and I gave my wife a 38mm aluminum Apple Watch series 2 last
Christmas, so again, sorry, no new Apple watches for us.
We have the Apple TV fourth generation and especially since my Sony TV is only
a 40 inch 1,080P model there is very little reason to upgrade to the Apple TV
4K, sorry Apple, no new Apple TV.
1 pair of Airpods for Sieghard? Hmm, now that you can set them up for
Pause/Play on one ear and for SIRI on the other ear… maybe, but still $219 for
two little earbuds is a lot of money especially since I wouldn’t be surprised
if at the very latest next fall the second generation of Airpods will come out
with a W2 chip supporting Bluetooth 5.0 and maybe all sorts of other goodies.
So, after all, no, I’ll skip on the Airpods.
How about an Apple Homepod smart speaker? OK, yes, but of course we have to
wait until next year for those here in Canada, but when they come out we’ll
most likely get one.

My little example above shows what some couples probably will spend on Apple
gear this fall, I doubt that my scenario is that far out of reach for many.
Kind of crazy, I had to replace the roof shingles on my house this year and the
initial quote was for $6,000 including everything. I consequently removed all
the old shingles myself and the guy knocked off $700 for that. It ended up
taking me about 12 hours and I did it in two sessions, it happened to be the
August long weekend so my store was closed on that Monday and we are not open
Sundays so I didn’t even have to take time off work and that worked out to be
almost $60 an hour which isn’t too bad.
In the Philippines where my wife is from the above Apple package would buy most
of a little house, yes, it’s only maybe a 350 square foot house and for most of
us that is considered barely adequat for a 1-bedroom apartment, but over there
a good portion of the population live in such houses with families of 4 or 6.
We do have it pretty good here, don’t we?

Best regards,

To post to this group, send email to