Hi Siegard,  I totally aggree with everything you have said.

Say thanks to them from me in the U.k. as well.

Cheers

Martin

From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: 15 October 2017 17:12
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: color identifier

In the explanation that is read when you first open the app and which you can
also review with Voiceover it says that after  you tap on “Examine” you have
the Take Picture button at the bottom in the middle just as with the camera
app. It further says that there is a “Use Picture” button to the right of that
(at the bottom right) and a “retake” button to the left of
Take Picture (at the bottom left of the screen).

The app only examines the picture and speaks the result after you tap the “Use
Picture” button.

This is the same in the iDentifi app and for blind users I find it somewhat
superfluous. It is OK for sighted users who can see what the picture you just
took looks like and in case it is no good they can tap on retake, but for a
blind user we have to tap on Use Picture anyways in order to hear if the result
makes sense.

Having said all that I have done two tests and I am very impressed with the
results, indeed better than what the Colorino would give since you have to hold
it directly against the material so it would give you only what it sees in
front of the dime-sized opening. You can put it in different places on the
shirt or whatever you are trying to identify, but it would have a difficult
time to say if it was two or three colours in a striped or checkered pattern.

Here is what I showed to the Examine Clothes app:

dark blue T-Shirt which it identified correctly as “Dark Blue, plain”.

A short-sleeved button-up shirt. The app said “light greybackground and dark
grey and dull green checker”.

The word “checker” is misspelled as “ckecker”, but apart from that the colours
were dead on, I asked my wife and she first said it’s a grey and green
checkered shirt, when I asked about light and dark grey she said yes, it was
mainly light grey with dark grey and green checkering.

I think I’ll contact the developer and point out the misspelling, sounds like
he or she is japanese and you can tell in other areas where it is obvious the
dev is not a native english speaker, but also I want to say Thanks and
encourage them to maybe submit an update even if it just corrects some spelling
mistakes, the app hasn’t been updated in a year and a half which means not
update after iOS 10 came out.

For now this app is definitely a keeper and the first colour identifier which
seems to work well although I guess it really is a clothes identifier, have not
tried it on let’s say a wall or other things.