My family had a front load washer/dryer in the mid-fifties.  Problem was, when
it broke down, it was a real bear to repair.  They're certainly way more
expensive than top loaders.

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:44 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Smart Washer and Drier

I had honestly never heard about these Speed Queen appliances here in Canada
and you really have to look hard to find them. Anyhow, it seems they make some
front loaders, but still msotly top loaders and I mean, really, do we live in
2017 or in 1977? I was born in Germany in 1967 and even as far back as I
remember when I was a 5 or 6 year old kid top load washers didn't exist even
back then in Germany. It took North America only 40 years to catch on, but
front loaders are so much more water efficient and clean so much better.
I bought a Maytag washer and drier set in 1996 and even then you could hardly
find any front loaders unless you went straight to the european stuff and yes,
they are now 20 years old and were working just fine and probably they still
will work fine in 10 years. But I wanted something that cleans better and is
more energy efficient which is why I bought the Miele set. It's interesting
that I read something about why Speed Queen washers are twice as expensive as a
Whirlpool, then I looked up one of the top rated top loaders on Amazon.com and
it was just under $900 which to me doesn't sound very expensive considering
what even the high-end washers from Samsung or LG cost. My Miele is a compact
size, but it still can take 15 pounds of laundry and then it uses all of a
couple of gallons or so of water , I remember watching my old Maytag top loader
fill and that thing probably used 10 gallons and that's not even counting the
rinse cycle.
Anyhow, I don't want to continue too much with this since it's gone off-course
with respect to connected appliances.