Hello Everyone,

Well, Rebecca, a list member, and I had a nice phone conversation regarding
the Overdrive app today.  During the conversation, I provided instructions
on how to search for, and download audio books.

I told her that one cannot read ePub formatted eBook titles in Overdrive,
via VoiceOver.  This continues to be the case.

However, a short time after our conversation, she contacted me stating that
she had successfully borrowed and downloaded a Kindle formatted eBook via
Overdrive.  I was absolutely surprised and delighted for it never occurred
to me to attempt to borrow a Kindle formatted title.

I then contacted her to discuss the steps necessary to accomplish this.  She
provided the broad strokes of the method stating that she wanted to explore
the feature more thoroughly before posting to the list.

I have just confirmed her findings and am delighted to say that Kindle
formatted eBooks work beautifully with VoiceOver, as one would expect since
the titles are displayed from within the iOS Kindle app, itself.

Below my signature, you will find the steps on how to borrow and return
Kindle formatted eBooks via Overdrive.  You may use either the web or the
iOS/Android app to actually obtain the titles.

Please note that the steps listed below assume that you know how to use
Overdrive in order to search for, and borrow titles.  It also assumes that
you have an Amazon.com account and that you are familiar with the Kindle
and/or the Kindle app media system.

Remember, the purpose of OverDrive is to make available, for free, all of
the books owned by the US Public Library system.

Even though the steps below may seem complicated, they are not.  In fact, I
just downloaded two Kindle formatted eBooks in less than 2 minutes after
borrowing them from the library.

Remember, unlike Overdrive audio books, with the eBooks, you will borrow
them via OverDrive and read them on Kindle.

Using my Focus 40 Blue Braille display with my iOS Kindle app, I can confirm
that OverDrive titles are equally as accessible as their commercial
counterparts.

A very special thanks to Rebecca Ilniski for bringing this feature to my
attention.

Mark

How to borrow and deliver Kindle Books

1.
Open your library's digital collection (you can find it using
www.overdrive.com).

2.
Find a Kindle Book to borrow. You can: .Tap or mouse over a title, then
select more to go to the title's details page. The details page lists the
formats available for that title, including Kindle Book (if available).
List of available formats on a title's details page. See instructions above.
Note: Some Kindle Books from your library (including many picture books,
read-alongs, and graphic novels) are not supported on certain Kindle devices
or reading apps. To check if an eBook has Kindle device or app restrictions,
look for a Device restrictions link under "Available formats."
.Run a search or open a collection, then select Kindle Book under the
"Format" filter.
.Use the advanced search and choose Kindle Book in the "All formats"
drop-down menu.

3.
Once you find an available Kindle Book, select Borrow.
If prompted, sign in.
4.
Find the eBook you've borrowed on your Checkouts page (under your Account).
>From there, select Read now with Kindle.

You'll be taken to Amazon's website to complete checkout and send the eBook
to your Kindle device or reading app. If you're already signed into Amazon,
continue to step 5. If you're not signed into Amazon, skip to step 6.

5.
If you're signed into Amazon, choose a device or reading app from the
"Deliver to:" drop-down menu, then select Get library book. The book will be
sent to your Kindle device or reading app.
Get library book button and Deliver to drop-down menu on Amazon's website.
See instructions above.
Note: You must complete this step for the book you borrowed to appear in the
"Your Content and Devices" list in your Amazon account. If the book does not
appear in this list, you won't be able to download it on any device.

6.
If you're not already signed into Amazon, select Get library book. You'll be
prompted to sign in.

After you sign in, choose the device or reading app where you'd like to send
the book you borrowed, then select Continue. The book will be sent to your
Kindle device or reading app.
Amazon's Kindle Book delivery page
Note: You must complete this step for the book you borrowed to appear in the
"Your Content and Devices" list in your Amazon account. If the library book
does not appear in this list, you won't be able to download it on any
device.

Your Kindle eReader must have a Wi-Fi internet connection to download
library Kindle Books from Amazon. If you don't have a Wi-Fi connection,
you'll need to transfer the title via USB.

Once a book is on your Kindle device or reading app, you can open it from
your device or app's home screen and read it just like any other Kindle
Book. For specific help reading on your device (like how to change the font
or save a bookmark), visit Amazon Device Support.

If you want to read the eBook on a different Kindle device or app, you can
deliver it again from Amazon's website during the lending period

If you'd like to return a Kindle Book before your lending period ends, use
these steps:

1.On Amazon's website, go to your "Manage Your Content and Devices" page.
2.Find the title in the "Your Content" list, then select .
3.Select Return this book in the pop-up window.
4.Select Yes to confirm and return the book.