I think every display gets problems with its cells after a few years. They
either need to be cleaned or in worst case replaced. I have had my brailliant
for nearly 6  years now and it has been cleaned twice, no cells replaced and
the cells are still good. But because your fingers go over the display so
often, it needs to be cleaned after a few years to keep working properly.
Unfortunately it is not that easy to do on your own.
Greetings, Anouk,