I'm not an expert with using Pages by any measure, but a brief
exploration of the app shows a "locations" button where you can
indicate whether you want your documents saved locally to your device
or to the cloud. I think if you save locally you will have to back up
to the cloud to have the docs saved there, but you should have access
to the local content when you want it if you handle it that way.

On 2/23/18, Harry Bell <ubupanora...@icloud.com> wrote:
> I take my iPad Air to various classes and I have lots of handouts in Pages,
> in Notes and as pdfs in iBooks.  When offline, I cannot access the Pages
> documents, though Notes and the pdfs in iBooks do seem available. Is there
> any way to choose to have Pages documents available offline (just as we can
> have iCloud Photo Library and iTunes Match music either only streamed from
> iCloud or also downloaded to device)?
> Thanks
> Harry running iOS 11.2.6 on iPad Air (very slowly!)

Kimberly