Thank you for these, just the suggestions I need.

Thanks, BobH.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm Parfitt" <malc...@parfitt1.org.uk>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2018 12:15 AM
Subject: Re: local/external storage for iOs?

Hi,

Here in the UK I have an EE Brightbox2 router that has a USB port.

If I want to play music or audio books that I do not want to store on my
iPhone7 I plug an external hard disk (a Freecom Pasport
Drive or memory stick) into the USB port of the router.  |Then using an app
called:  FileBrowser - Computers+Cloud by Stratospherix
Ltd https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/filebrowser-computers-cloud/id364738545?mt=8

I can play and access whatever media I choose.  This requires the storage
device to be on the same network as the iPhone, you cannot
access it externally.

You can get a NAS device that will enable you to access media from outside your
network this will be easiest achieved using a
service like no-ip or DYNDNS to setup a dynamic host to your drive.

For portable storage you can get a USB memory stick with a Lightning Port to
expand your iPhone and use its own software to access
and play media.  These are slightly expensive.

I understand you can get a device that plugs into an iPhone that will take a SD
memory card that you will give you more storage
options.

Malcolm.

Sent from my iPhone