Leaving your phone plugged in will help, and I tend to plug my phone in whenever it's convenient, but it's also meant to be a mobile device, so I'm not a slave to a charging cable.

Lithium ion batteries have a life span based in something called cycles. A cycle is when you end up going through a full charge, even if it happens in increments. For example, if you go down to 80% charge, charge it up, and then go down to 50% charge, charge it up again, and then go down to 70% charge you'll have used up one cycle since you used up 20% and then 50% and then 30% for a total of 100%. This is why it's good to plug your phone in when you can to save cycles.

Lithium ion batteries also tend to like shallow charges, so again, if it's convenient, you'll want to charge it up when it gets between 80% and 40% left on your battery. Again, this is just something they like, but you won't be doing significant damage to your battery if you let it run all the way down or top it off when it's only down about 5% or 10%.

There are two things lithium batteries don't like. One is heat, so try to keep your phone from over heating, like leaving it in a sunny car with the windows up. They other thing they don't like is losing all of their charge. This won't happen when you let your battery go down to 0% since the electronics on your battery will say you're at 0% and shutdown even though they still have some charge left. What you don't want to do is let your phone run all the way down and then store it somewhere, since your battery will lose charge even if the phone is powered off. If you want to store your phone for some length of time, make sure the battery is topped off first.

Anyone can check anything I've said by researching this on your own. The last time I read up on this, Battery University had a good article.