Tom: I have had the same questions and haven't yet found the answer.
At one point, I did find a number of songs in the Songs portion of
Apple Music, but that disappeared a couple of years ago. Now I look in
the Music Settings. I also have music set to download to my phone when
I add things to play lists. Like you, I have a lot of partial albums
and some scattered collections. I did submit feedback to Apple through
their main feedback form at:
www.apple.com/feedback
That form is quite extensive with many questions of what device you
are using, which iOS version, and specific questions for specific
issues. However, my feedback was for some notification of duplicate
songs when I try to add things to my play lists. Now, when I add
something which may already be in a play list, the song is added
without any notification. I would like something that pops up on the
More screen that says which play list a song is in, so I don't add it
again. Or, perhaps a message asking if I want to add the song to a
play list again. I'm sure I have several dozen duplicate entries in my
500 plus song play lists, but the only way to know is to go by the
play list line by line and page by page, and keep track of entries,
which makes my brain hurt just thinking about. Sure, I could use
iTunes on a computer, but like you, I have long since given up on
iTunes.

Wayne

Connect with me on GoodReads:
www.goodreads.com/waynesbooks