Holly states she has Apple Care not Apple Care Plus. Apple Care is Apple's
limited 1-year warranty which comes with a new phone at no extra cost whereas
Apple Care Plus costs a significant amount, it extends the warranty by another
year to 2 years and covers 2 repairs or phone replacements due to accidental
damage.

Apple says the following:

Warranty:
iPhone comes with 90 days of complimentary technical support. In addition your
iPhone, its rechargeable battery and all included accessories are covered
against defects for a year from the purchase date by a limited hardware
warranty.

AppleCare+:
Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its
limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for
iPhone extends your coverage to two years from your AppleCare+ purchase date
and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage each subject to a
service fee of $39 for screen damage or $129 for any other damage plus
applicable tax. In addition you'll get 24/7 priority access to Apple experts
via chat or phone. Learn

Here are the cost  for AppleCare+ in Canada for the various iPhone models, in
Canadian Dollars of course, you can probably deduct about 30% for the US cost:
iPhone 8 = $169
iPhone 8+ and X R = $199
iPhone X S and X S Max =$249

I also just broke my screen and paid $195 Canadian to have it replaced on my
iPhone 8. If I had bought AppleCare+ I would have paid $169 when I bought my
iPhone and then $39 deductible for the screen repair which is a total of $208.
In other words it would have cost me $13 more to have the screen fixed with
AppleCare+ and as long as I don't do this again before December 2020 I am
better off not buying AppleCare+, should I break it a second time then of
course with AppleCare+ the two repairs would have cost me a total of $247
whereas without it I would pay $390, $143 more. Considering that I have had
iPhones for 10 years and only once before I damaged my iPhone accidentally, I
decided it would be worthwhile to take my chances. I used to always buy
AppleCare+, but then again it used to be $79 when I got my first iPhone 4, then
I think with my 5S it was $99 and for my 6S Plus it was $129. At $169 or even
$199 if you have an iPhone X R or $249 if you have an iPhone X S it is becoming
a pretty big expense and there are other ways to insure your iPhone which are
much cheaper. I have both my wife's and my iPhone insured through our home
insurance and that costs me about $40 a year and in addition to accidental
damage it also covers loss or theft which is not covered by AppleCare+. Of
course my insurance rate may go up a bit if I put in a claim for a lost or
stolen phone, but at least I am covered should that happen or should there be a
major accident where the phone would have to be replaced completely. When I
lost my iPhone 6S Plus in the snow I think it was back in 2015 the insurance
company bought me a new one at full retail. For this recent screen repair I
will first try to claim this via my credit card insurance and if they refuse it
I'll try through my home insurance.