I didn't see any answers to this question yet, so I apologize if I just
missed them. POP is good if you'll be downloading your mail messages and
keeping them on a single system, like a home PC. You can check messages
from other devices before they're removed from your email server, and
you can set up your email clients to either just leave the messages on
the server, download them to your device or just delete the message from
your server that you delete or file from your client. I haven't ever set
up POP on my iPhone, although I did use it for quite a while across
multiple PC's.

IMAP keeps all of your email and folders on a server. If you delete a
message from one client or move it to a folder, you'll see this change
on all of your clients. This is what I use now.

I think Exchange is similar in functionality to IMAP, but I don't use it
myself, other than to synchronize my Google Contacts with my iPhone.

When you set up your email account on your PC, what was your email
provider and what client were you using? Thunderbird will automatically
set up your email account for you, so it may figure out that you're
using IMAP or POP without ever asking you. The client will need to know
what protocol you're using though.

On 03/10/12 15:22, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. wrote:
> *Hi,*
>
> *I’m still trying to understand various email configurations mentioned
> on this list, such as POP, IMAP, Exchange, and the implications of each.*
>
> *I have just set up a new and my first Gmail account from my PC, and
> want to activate this on my iDevices.*
>
> *When setting up the basic Gmail account, there was nothing about
> selecting POP, IMAP, or Exchange.*
>
> *Will these questions come up when I activate this Gmail account on my
> iDevices? If so, what recommendations would be suggested? The main thing
> I want is to remove any messages from the server from whatever device I
> may read and delete them from.*
>
> *Thanks in advance. Keith*

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail