" digital signals are either there, or they're not."

Well, yes and no. *All* signals are analog (even your "digital media" like
a hard disk). Internally, what is sensed directly by the electronics is
analog. We then convert the signal to digital ... for example we might
sense "+3.4 volts" ... in a "5v circuit" that's going to read as a "1".
2.4v will read as a zero. The tricky cases are between 2.4 and 2.5v,
especially if it is moving up and down rapidly  .... the *result* is going
to a "zero or a one" which in the aggregate is going to result in your
having a picture (sharp) or nothing ... rather than a fuzzy picture. (and
yes, I know antennas aren't going to be simply measuring voltage ...).

Whether you can get good signals inside your home will depend a lot on

   1. Where the transmitter is
   2. What's between you and the transmitter
   3. What your walls are made of (metal? plaster?? drywall???)
   4. What (if anything) in your house generates noise in those frequencies
   (think big electric motors, for example).

it may be that you can get good results with careful placement, or you
might not have a prayer. Even outdoor antennas aren't necessarily
effective, or are effective only if/when pointed at the specific
transmitter (really good antennas get around that by actually being a
constellation of antennas internally ;>...your phone for example ;> ).

Consumer grade antennas hardly ever provide any useful feedback, a few TV's
do provide signal strength diagnostics (I haven't seen any with appropriate
assistive support :<).

Keith Bierman
khb...@gmail.com
303 997 2749