After doing a bit of research it would seem that AudioBooks.com is very much
mimicking what obviously has been successful for Audible. They offer a $14.95 a
month subscription which gives you 1 credit just as with Audible. One review
which is a few years old mentioned that you can buy additional credits for the
same price and they felt that was a big benefit.
However, if you are a big listener you can get a 2-credit plan from Audible for
$22.95 a month which is less than $1150 per book and if you decide to purchase
this plan all at once, i.e. instead of paying $22.95 a month for 12 month which
equals $275.40, you can pay for 24 credits all at once and I believe that price
is then discounted to $229.99 which is approx. $9.58 per credit or book and
that of course is a much better deal.
Another thing which wasn't mentioned in this review are the specials Audible
members get. First there is the daily deal emails you can sign up for where you
get an offer every day to buy the book offered for between $3.95 and $5.95. Of
course there may be a week or 2 or even 3 where the book offered aren't what
you want, but I generally find at least 1 a month and sometimes 2, so even if
you subscribe to the one book plan from Audible for $14.95 and buy one more
book each month from the daily deal promotion for $5 you are in my opinion
better off.
Then there are all the other promotions where every month or two you get a
chance to either buy 2 books for 1 credit or you get a list of a few hundred
books where all the titles again are only $4.95 or $5.95.
Furthermore, if you use up your monthly credit or if you let 2 or 3 credits
accumulate and then use them all up at once,
Audible has been offering members to buy 3 additional credits for essentially
the same price as your membership credits.
And lastly, there is the selection which is probably one of the most important
aspects of an audio book service. At the time of the review AudioBooks.com
apparently had 100,000 titles, I think now they claim they have 150,000 titles
and they also mention you have access to over 700,000 Podcasts, but of course I
don't need to pay for an audio book service to access Podcasts. AudioBooks.com
apparently also offers free access to books which are in the public domain
whereas Audible often offers such books for purchase, but then they are often
new and high quality recordings and the price is usually not too high. In any
case, there again are many other sources for public domain books for free and I
must say at times I have purchased a public domain book from Audible because it
was read/performed so well. Audible Canada says their library contains
currently over 300,000 titles and in addition to offering many commercially
produced audio books, Audible is also a big content provider themselves, their
"Audible Frontiers" services produces many audio books and all in all I find
Audible to offer the most comprehensive service and I feel I get a pretty good
value for what I spend there.