The short answer if you are using a PC is:
In iTunes search for a unique phrase that will get you all of the parts of
the book, say author, or title in the music search field.
Then, tab into those results and hit control+a to select them all, then hit
control+I for get info and it will ask you if you want to edit multiple
items.  Hit y, for yes.
 Then, you need to go to the options tab.
Then, tab to where it says "Kind" and hit a, which should bring up audio
book and tab.  There are checkboxes or radio buttons, I can't remember right
now, but you want to have it set to remember your place and ignore when
shuffling.
Then tab to OK and hit enter.

They will process and no longer show up under music, they will now show up
under books.

Sync your phone with iTunes and then Launch the bookmark app and it should
find the books.

If you are using a Mac, someone will have to explain those steps, but that
is it in a nutshell.

HTH,
Richard