First, it is a three finger double tap to mute VoiceOver speech.
I do not use WhatsApp, but in the notification settings for WhatsApp, you
should be able to pick a unique sound file.
If not, then you need to contact the WhatsApp developer.
The text message settings in contacts are only for native Apple apps, so it
makes perfect sense why it doesn't work for Whatsapp.
That is what the notification settings are for.
HTH,

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass
himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds
among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to
others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert