Hi, while I like the idea of iTunes Match, it's not for me. However if others use it, friends, family, etc, I support them. My reasons for not using it is because I get the same functionality from AudioGalaxy. Yes, I probably avoid the 256 encoding it offers, but that's not important to me. With AudioGalaxy I have access to all of my music and I'm not limited to the 25 thousand songs that you would be with iTunes Match. If I want to hear music I don't have in my own collection then I can use Pandora or Songza as alternatives. If I'm traveling and won't have access to the cloud, then I can easily keep around 5 or 10 gb of music on my phone, not using iTunes Match, and have access to local songs that way. So, for me it's just not worth it.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
Home Page: http://raulgallegos.com

Hello List,

I am normally among the first to adopt new technology and features, but I am
still on the fence with respect to iTunes Match. I have approx. 280 CD's and
a bit of other music which I mostly purchased from iTunes, a total of just
under 3,800 songs. I ripped all my CD's using the FLAC lossless format and I
keep these files on a network drive so I can access it with my Sonos system.
I chose to use the lossless system because storage space is cheap and not an
issue, my entire collection takes up about 100 Gig. I then used the batch
conversion feature of DB Power Amp to convert everything from the lossless
format to M4A at 256 Kbps and I have that in my iTunes Media Folder on my
laptop for syncing to my iPhone. At 256 Kbps my lossless collection shrunk
to about 23 or so Gb which easily fit on my 64 Gig iPhone 4S with lots of
room to spare for apps, audio books and the occasional photos and videos.

My question is whether I'd actually get anything out of using iTunes Match.
If I do turn it on and my iTunes library is matched and what is not is
uploaded, will I then manually have to download it to the phone again? I do
like a local copy of everything on the phone because I can't stream if, for
example, I am on a plane or on holidays in a country where maybe I don't
have data and in any case, I use very little data hence have only a very
small data plan. I assume I can download all my music again to my phone and
maybe the one advantage I can see is that if I ever had to reset my phone or
got a new phone my music would be downloaded from the cloud and I wouldn't
have to connect to my laptop. Of course it takes a lot longer as well to
download 25 Gig from the cloud than to sync it via iTunes.

Maybe some of you iCloud experts can tell me if there are other reasons why
I might want to use it or maybe you can just confirm that in my case there
really is no benefit to using it since my phone is plenty big enough to hold
my music collection and I sync the entire collection anyways.