The basics are pretty easy. The menu button will get you into where you can
change things and read instructions. However, all you need to do is hold
your phone flat and above the card. Move the phone an listen for the tone
which will get louder as more text is detected. If the tone gets quieter,
you've lost focus on some text. When you have a loud stable tone, double
tap on the "capture image" button and the text will be scanned. Settings in
the app let you determine if it's read out loud or not among other things.
I find it best to use the app with VoiceOver hints disabled so the hint
doesn't talk over the text which is read. However, the hints are useful to
learn what's what. Hope that helps you get started. It's a beautifully
intuitive system.

--
Michael Feir
Author of Personal Power; The iOS Edition