Hi List,

As with previous major iOS upgrades, I notice different behavior with iOS 14
as more days pass. I had not been experiencing any lag with my default
Samantha enhanced voice until swiping around on the home screen earlier this
morning. It seemed as if Samantha was a bit slow in announcing the title of
each app. There is a podcast on AppleVis discussing a workaround for those
experiencing an iOS 14 Voiceover lag. It involves going to Settings,
Accessibility, Voiceover, Speech, and having other rotor languages
downloaded. With language in your rotor, you can select one of those other
languages and perhaps work around the Voiceover lag. I tried this and didn't
notice any speed change. FYI, I have rotor languages installed for US
English, Australian English, UK English, Irish English, and South African
English. I noticed when swiping through the choices in language in my rotor
that the UK English voice seemed to respond more quickly. Of my downloaded
language voices, it was the only one using a Siri voice. I went and changed
all my language voices to their Siri versions and also changed my default US
voice from Samantha enhanced to Siri female. I'm now getting a much faster
Voiceover response after doing this. I tried deleting Samantha enhanced as
my default Voiceover voice and downloading it again hoping that might speed
things up but the plain fact is that the Siri voices are much more
responsive on my SE 2020.

I'm curious if others who might be willing to experiment a bit get faster VO
responsiveness with a Siri voice. I'll caution that most Siri voices are
400+ MB in size so if your device is low on available space, you might not
want to try this.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Alan Lemly