I have this exact same problem on my XR. Still present in iOS 14.0.1.

Also, if I want to backspace and delete a bunch of characters, what I’ll do is
double tap and keep one finger on the delete button and split tap with another
finger as many times as I need with VO announcing each character that’s being
deleted. I’ve found this at least for me a quick way to batch delete characters
or a word or two than selecting the text and then deleting or double tapping
the hell out of the delete key etc.

Anyway, now when I try doing that in iOS 14, every time I split tap, the cursor
is placed at the beginning of the edit field and text. This has pretty much
broken the ability to backspace multiple times via this method.

Another issue that I don’t think others have mentioned is that now, VO can’t
maintain focus on the dictate button. Whenever I try to gain focus on the
microphone to dictate something anywhere in the OS, VO flickers and studders
and the haptic feedback I get on the iPhone is like it’s doing the jitterbug. I
now have to use the two finger double tap on an edit field to initiate
dictation. So now, dictating has mostly become a two handed action instead of
one simple one handed action. Super annoying.

I too sent Apple accessibility a screen recording as well as a diagnostics log
at their request.

They said that they’re aware of it, but come on.

Regarding the VO focus thing. Yes, it’s all over the place. I can’t use the
1Password option to autofill log in credentials if say I have to select from a
list of options as VO gets stuck on either the cancel button or the edit field.
The built-in dictionary feature is also broken as VO can’t get past the done
button when you look up a word. And on and on.

Cristóbal