Hi Ann,

In a group conversation where everyone is using iMessage, you can mention a
particular person to draw their attention to what you are saying or direct a
question to them. If you have set your phone not to alert you of the
conversation, you will still be alerted if someone mentions you unless you turn
off those alerts in Messages Settings, which I think is what the previous
poster was talking about.

If you open a conversation that includes mentions, you can turn the rotor to
Mentions and move through all the mentions, so you can quickly find them.

To mention someone, you can either type the at sign and their full name or do
the following: Start typing their name or type their whole first name, turn the
rotor to Mentions, flick up or down to "Possible mention" followed by their
name, double-tap, and then double-tap the person's full name which VoiceOver
will speak.

HTH,
Anna