I did not, and have never had to work with a sim card for my Apple Watch. When
I ordered my Apple Watch, I told them who my cell carrier was, and it came
ready to go. All I had to do is call my carrier and let them add it to my cell
plan. This was my experience, I can not say that yours will not be different.

Chris