I would highly recommend that your friend get a Google voice number. Then you
can use multiple apps to send and receive text messages from the iPod touch.
The Google voice app itself is free and pretty good. However the one I like
better is called GV connect. It is not free, but works much better than the
free one. Getting a Google voice number itself is free.

---
Raul A. Gallegos
Facebook, Twitter, and Zello username: rau47
Homepage: http://RaulGallegos.com