I have absolutely no doubt that Apple has received tens of thousands of
such complaints at a minimum. Unfortunately, the environmental optics of
this are too good to really back out of. The packing boxes can be much
thinner. They have tons of repeat customers who already have chargers which
they're totally happy with. There are many charging options out there for
people to pick from even on Apple's own store. Apple does remind people to
buy a charger during the process so that'll help somewhat. While Apple does
take note of complaints, it doesn't seem to be prone to changing course
because of them. They got massive pushback when they removed the headphone
jack. Now, you almost never hear complaints about that. The overall
customer base just gets used to whatever they decide. For people on the
annoied side of these big decisions, there's a sense that it does more
emotional good to vent on public lists than write to Apple. Until they make
a truly unforgivable blunder, that's how things go in large ecosystems like
this.

--
Michael Feir
Author of Personal Power; The iOS Edition