David, thanks for what I suspected.  Yes, auto updates are turned off.  I'll eventually commit the many tangible buttons on instapot to memory.  Further, I have no reason for updating IO on Iphone 7.  I had originally planned to hand in a couple of retired Iphones to Apple for whatever bucks I could nab but just never got to it, then I learned just in time about Instapot.  I had already properly wiped my Iphone 7 which had only 16 GB.  My 8 has 32GB and managed to get the larger backup sufficiently restored on 8 to include Instapot.  I don't care about the rest of the apps since 7 if only to be used for instapot.

And don't get me started on the moral bankruptcy of appliance manufacturers.  Example, a talking microwave need not cost anywhere near $300 but that isn't for this list.

On 2021-05-07 10:47 a.m., Dave Clement wrote:
Hi Doug,

An iPhone 7 can run IOS 14.x so if you attempt to upgrade it, IOS 14.5.1 would
get installed. IOS only upgrades to the latest version. If support for your
Instapot was broken in IOS 14 and you want/need to use the Instapot app, then
don't upgrade.

I have read about the problem with Instapot dropping support for the bluetooth
version of the Instapot. Is this what you are running into or is there a
separate problem with the app for Instapot? I have heard that the WIFI model
Instapot is working OK but that does not help all those who bought the
bluetooth model and the WIFI model is more expensive.

One last thought - I'm sure you've done this but make sure you have "automatic
updates" turned off on your iPhone 7 to prevent the upgrade to IOS 14.5.1.

Dave Clement
Winnipeg MB