I have had the eReader from NLS made by Humanware for about three days.
My impressions are below, in no particular order.
1. The neck strap is cheap and not at all comfortable. It is too skinny, and
made out of a very rough material.
2. There are two space bars that for me, are not positioned well. I use my
right thumb for pressing the space bar and I find its position slightly too far
to the right.
3. There are the 20 cursor routing buttons over each cell, but no markers every
5 like on most displays with routing buttons.
4. The keyboard is ergonomically designed with the slight curve. The space bars
are below the braille cells, which is fine for me but I know some people prefer
the space bar closer to the keyboard.
The keys have more play in them than I expected. They feel a little spongy.
5. The case makes it look like a hardback book. It opens just like a book
cover, with the spine on the back of the unit leaving the front thumb keys
exposed.  The best word I can think of is, "cute."
6. The braille feels better to me than on the Humanware braille note touch
plus, but not quite as good as on the Orbit Readers.
7.  It does not have a note taker, but can be connected to a computer or a
smart phone to be used as a braille keyboard.
8.  The setup for Bluetooth devices is much like other Humanware displays.  It
follows Humanware's logic, which is not my logic, but following the
instructions did work.
9.  NLS BARD login and download is very straight forward.
10.  Changing braille grades is slow.  Press Space+g and you have to wait about
6 or 7 seconds before the grade shows up, Then, once the one you want is on the
display, wait another 6 or 7 seconds for the display to go back to what you
were doing.
11.  when used as a braille input device with an iPhone SE 2020, it works
pretty much as well as all displays work, which is very good.
12.  The battery life seems to be maybe 6 or 8 hours, hard to be sure yet.
13.  There is no internet browser, Wi-Fi is used for downloading BARD books and
updating the firmware.
14.  The wi-Fi set up was pretty straight forward, as Humanware devices go.
15.  I have not tried using it with the computer.
16.  It takes approximately 20 seconds to start up and about 17 seconds to shut
down.  Probably due to the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functions, I am not sure.

To get an eReader from NLS you have to contact your regional library for the
blind and sign up for braille materials, and then request the eReader.  If you
already receive braille materials, simply contact them and ask how to get sign
up for an eReader if your library is participating in the program that is..
At this point, it is still considered a pilot program and you have to agree to
participate in several surveys at 2, 4, and 6 months after receiving the device
and of course, to return it if you are not going to use it.  If you want, you
can keep it after the pilot project is finished.
Oregon seems to be getting the Humanware device; some states are getting the
one from Zoomax.
There are YouTube videos walking through each device, settings, how to..., etc..
Here is the physical description link for the Humanware device:
https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9336/

Here is the physical description link for the Zoomax device:
https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9653/

Richard

Web site: www.turner42.com<http://www.turner42.com>