Yes, I did all this on my own and while on the phone with Apple Accessibility.
Again, the Apple guy looked it up and noted that it was a known bug.

From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 9:34 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Yes virginia, there is a Santa Claus

And have you checked under Notifications > Mail > Customize Notifications that
a sound is selected for each of your accounts?

Also, double check in Notifications > Mail that banners are in fact selected
and also display on lock screen if that is what you want.

For some reason my mail sounds were turned off after the update to iOS 15 and I
had to reenable them, but on my iPhone 11 Mail and other notifications are all
coming in as they As they should whether the phone is locked or not. Keep in
mind that now with the notification summary option and the various focus
options this may also have an effect if maybe you accidently turned on
notification summary and Mail is going into the summary.