The instant speaking in the camera app is pretty cool, it's a bit like the
short text channel in Seeing AI and I just tried it with a few food packages
and it worked quite well.

From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Richard
Turner
Sent: September 30, 2021 10:34 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: FW: Sample of detected text in iOS 15 using the 13 pro

FYI.
From: blindapp...@groups.io<mailto:blindapp...@groups.io>
<blindapp...@groups.io<mailto:blindapp...@groups.io>> On Behalf Of Richard
Turner
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 10:21 AM
To: blindapp...@groups.io<mailto:blindapp...@groups.io>

What I am going to paste below is from a picture I took with the standard
iPhone camera of a fancy cross stitch my niece did of a one of my all time
favorite quotes by Victor Hugo.
I got focus on the photo and double tapped, flicked up to show details, then
double tapped on the detected text button.
For those who do not know about cross stitch, it is using thread on a cloth mat
and making fancy letters and a design around the border.  It is in a wooden
frame.  It is almost a cross between hand writing and calligraphy.
Then, I used the VoiceOver 3 finger quadruple tap to copy what VoiceOver said
to the clipboard.  This is my first experiment with this.

I will put the corrected version immediately following what iOS 15 did with the
photo.

Detected text *
Have courage por the great sorrows
of Life,
fund patience por the small ones.
find when you have laboriously
Accomplished your dally tasks,
60
to sleep in Peace
Bod is Awake. to sleep in Peace

Actual text:
Have courage for the great sorrows of life
And patience for the small ones
And when you have laboriously accomplished your daily tasks,
Go to sleep in peace,
God is awake.

I’m not sure why it repeats “sleep in peace” but it does.

I think it is a pretty good job for something that is very difficult to scan
with any OCR software and being just part of the camera feature in iOS 15.
Apple deserves credit for making it easy to find out what something says just
by using the built-in camera.

Also, Voice Dream Scanner did not do any better than the camera did.

Another thing that is certainly more active since much of the processing is
done on the phone is that if VoiceOver is focused on the View Finder, it will
start speaking the objects in the view finder immediately.  Like Computer
screen with keyboard…

Richard
“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” –
Jane Wagner

My Web site:
https://www.turner42.com<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com%2F&data=04%7C01%7C%7C3e9d4e69082e4d2ed8d708d98436b27e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637686192723155206%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=UxPs8wlQAUKXzYxfmY%2BiUXa0qEC0ff7qmi0Uhgl2JmQ%3D&reserved=0>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/MW4PR17MB4513D54EC95CABC49426E875B7AA9%40MW4PR17MB4513.namprd17.prod.outlook.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/MW4PR17MB4513D54EC95CABC49426E875B7AA9%40MW4PR17MB4513.namprd17.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.