Greetings,

This is going to be a long message, so feel free to stop reading if this
doesn't apply to you.  If you want to jump to the meat of the issue, search
for two asterisks ** and you will get the main information without the
background story.

On December 15th, my Microsoft Account was locked.  I was given the standard
information about going to a link to unlock it by having a code texted to
me, enter that code and supposedly then it would have verified that I was me
and gotten the account unlocked.

However, as soon as I entered the code I got the message first, your account
is now unlocked.  Moments later, it was locked again.

I tried to repeat the steps, only to be told I'd tried too many times and
had to wait 24 hours.

I called Microsoft Accessibility, and they basically said the same thing.

I waited 28 hours, just in case, and the same thing happened.

I  waited another 25 or 26 hours and got the same thing.  so, this is three
days without access to my OneDrive, etc.

I called again, and got the same answer.

On the 5th day,  I was rather stern without using any foul language, and
insisted that they get me unnlocked because each time I only had one try at
it, did everything correct, and was locked out again.

This guy actually took the time to walk through the steps and saw that yes,
it wasn't working as it should.

He went to a different link with Microsoft and got me unlocked and said now,
"this won't happen again, you are set."

Eight days later, I was locked out again.

I wrote someone I know personally that works for Microsoft and spelled out
the situation and asked if there wasn't someone higher up I could talk with.
This was December 28th.  He was on vacation.

On January 31st I shut off my computer, and had already turned off my
Microsoft email on my iPhone, so that on Monday, January 3rd, I could call
them and assure them I had not tried at all for 3 days, and didn't turn on
my computer until I had them on the phone ready to connect with Quick Assist
so they could see first hand how it blows out on the first attempt to
unlock.

After getting it unlocked with the nice ladies help, I strongly insisted I
talk with a supervisor about this whole process.  I was first told there
were no supervisors ... but I said there had to be someone to handle
customer complaints ... and after 40 minutes of being put on hold while she
looked into who I could talk with, and her saying it is probably the groups
I belong to that are triggering the spam warnings/suspicious activity, she
put me in touch with her supervisor... Note, she did have a supervisor.  He
in fact, told me he was the one to give her the theory that the groups I
belonged to were causing the problem.  More on that soon.

They got me unlocked again, but he theorized that it would be locked again
because of the groups.

He did say he would put in a ticket to the developers about this situation

So, at that point, I changed my groups subscriptions to a Gmail address
rather than my Microsoft Account address.

I didn't like the way Gmail sorts things into the Inbox, and the "Important"
box, so I created a new Comcast.net address, which I am now using for all my
group subscriptions.

While some emails end up in the Junk folder, because I'm not using my
Microsoft Account Email, it hasn't resulted in my Microsoft account being
locked.

Back to my contact at Microsoft, I heard back from him later that day,  and
gave him the update as to where things stood.

I requested access to someone higher up again to try and deal with this
issue.

He forwarded my email to someone much higher up the chain than him.

Because that higher up person took this seriously, I was put in touch with
two of their Microsoft 365 Office App Rangers.

I had a conference call and spent a lot of time going through the issues and
explaining how I no longer am using the Microsoft Account for these email
groups, so the unlocking the account is not the prime issue; but am still
having random emails from the groups ending up in Junk.

Their solution, is below.

**

I received the below from a Microsoft Support person whose title is:

Microsoft 365 Apps Ranger

<Deployment/Servicing/Activation/Accessibility>

*from the App Ranger:

The emails are ending up in the Junk folder because the "From" and "Reply
To" email addresses don't match so Outlook treats it as a junk item.

Adding the group emails groupn...@groups.io <mailto:groupn...@groups.io>  to
Outlook's safe senders list will not stop them from going to the Junk
folder. You will need to add the email address in the From field to the Safe
list

Example from the header of a groups.io email: