From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Richard
Turner
Sent: Tuesday, May 3, 2022 2:11 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: accessing a Kindle eBook that refuses to play nicely with VoiceOver

Hi Anna,
Here is a snippet from my web site's Useful Apps page:
I just did this with a book today in fact.
Codex by James Scholes
Here is a little section from his web site. I encourage any avid readers to
follow the link below and read about it and install the utility.
A few years ago, I wrote a tutorial which guided people through the
installation and configuration of software for the purposes of gaining access
to books purchased from the Amazon Kindle Store. The guide proved popular, but
it required heavy use of the command line, making it unsuitable and daunting
for quite a lot of people, not to mention that it was an absolute nightmare to
troubleshoot if anything went wrong. Which it frequently did.
Subsequently, in 2014, I started to develop a small prototype application to
make the process easier and more intuitive, not only for people wanting to read
Kindle eBooks, but also for me when people needed help. I named it Codex, a
word used from the 16th century onwards to denote, now ancient, manuscripts in
book form. In the second half of 2015, I finally rewrote that prototype to
include the functionality I wanted it to have from the start, and the software
is now publicly available to download.
Please note, that you can only convert books you have purchased and only for
your use--you cannot share them with others without violating the copyright
laws and cheating the author out of their tiny royalties.
In order to convert your Kindle books with Codex, you will need to install
Kindle For PC version 1.17, which you can get here:
KindleForPC-installer-1.17.44183:
http://turner42.com/KindleForPC-installer-1.17.44183.exe

Codex project web site:
http://jscholes.net/how-to-remove-drm-from-kindle-books-with-codex-2/

I use the convert to ePub and then put it in Voice Dream Reader and you get all
the headings, etc.

I very much doubt it will work with images.  IN fact, I'm pretty sure it won't,
so I hope the book also has real text and the pictures are just getting in the
way.

HTH,
Richard

My web site; https://www.turner42.com/