Hi,
I'm answering in context of your questions.

Yeah, don't shoot me for asking the same question others have already asked.
Bang! (Just kidding.)
 I do have a very specific aspect though. I already have an iPhone. I think
I have found a good combination of apps to help me do document editing
during my commute with my Apple Bluetooth keyboard. I want to know if an
iPad would in any way enhance my experience.

1. Is document editing going to be faster?

Not in my experience.

2. What about switching between apps?

The only difference that I can see is that there is a gesture to bring up
the app switcher on the iPad and then a gesture for switching between apps.
Four finger swipe up opens the app switcher and then four finger swipe left
or right will flick through the apps in the app switcher.  You might save a
few seconds, but is that worth the expense?  That is up to you.

3. Is it possible to use Command + Tab to switch between apps on the iPad,
or is it still necessary to go through the App Switcher?

Same as on the iPhone.

 Dumb questions I know, but I'm picky that way.

 The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.

HTH,

Richard