There's a setting specifically for deciding this. Go into the "Home Scren"
area of settings. There, you can choose whether newly downloaded apps are
added to your home screens or simply put in the library. Other settings in
there let you decide if notification badges are shown in the library as
well as in the home screen. You can also decide whether searches are shown
on the home screen. I believe this has to do with when you use spotlight
search. Hope that helps.

--
Michael Feir
Author of Personal Power: Getting The Most From iOS as a Totally Blind User